Monthly Archives: September 2011
The law of conservation of energy states that the total amount of energy in an isolated system remains constant over time (is said to be conserved over time). A consequence of this law is that energy can neither be created nor be destroyed: it can be transformed from one form to another or transferred from one place to another.(Wikipedia)
In my mind the circulation of money resembles this law. Its input translates work into products. Energy which is transformed in some sort of output which in turn, can be swapped for money again. Money exchanges also run in a closed system; the Earth. I have never heard of money escaping in space, or transactions between Earth and Alfa Centauri.
Given this logic, the amount of money that existed before the crisis may still be somewhere in planet Earth, unless it burnt letting all its energy escape through the atmosphere. So I cannot understand all this talk about the economic crisis and economically broken countries.
Someone, somewhere may be stashing loads of money. Money doesn’t just vanish in space at the snap of two fingers. Collecting money from those who horde it away for their own profit and greed, would certainly solve most of the crisis.
Following the same trail, if money is missing somewhere, it may be accumulated elsewhere…someone may have too much of it!
Western governments claim that there is no growth. Do we really need growth? Why can´t we just devise a form of governance that is based on stability and a dynamic equilibrium? Just like in ecology!
Economic growth puts pressure on environmental resources. It also requires an ever growing stream of consumers producing tons of rubbish.
Let us ask ourselves again and reflect on the question: Do we really want growth?
Would someone please change this economical paradigm that shackles the west to a continuous philosophy of consumerism, waste and infinite exploitation of the Earth resources?
The world needs a new economic paradigm based on a dynamic equilibrium and recirculation of money.
Open the doors of those Swiss banks and inject the money of Russian and Italian Mafia, drug dealers, self-centred footballers and cocaine sniffing pop-music idols, in the economy.
Build schools and hospitals, recycling stations and factories, give funding to renewable energies. Yes Mr Chris Hun get your act together and stop being a circus puddle dancing at the tone of the conservatives.
Investing in renewable technologies is the solution for countries that export little or have non-competitive currencies.
Renewable technology is a crucible creative people a new generation that will inherit the dirty bare planet that we are leaving them. It employs all the know-how created in our universities now stuck in a bottle neck of unemployment. It is production that does something good for the only planet that supports life as we know it.
Time is ticking away and while panicking governments play a dangerous poker game to convince us that they have some aces hidden in their sleeve that will solve the crisis, in reality, they do not have a clue on how to address it. Everyone claims they will do it but nobody knows how to do it. Political rhetoric ? we are tired of it.. show me some action! Other than squeezing the belt and strangling the economy.
Open the flood of investment in green technologies, recycling, renewable power, electric cars. Stop bending before the interests of oil and polluting enterprises. The Portuguese have a gem of folk wisdom that goes like literally this : ” the more you bend yourself, the more you expose your arse!”
How are we going to balance the average income of citizens reducing economic inequalities? Very simple… two rules. Start being humble and stop the greedy ones from accumulating huge personal private wealth. This crisis is the repercussion of centuries of unfair policies which rewards the greedy and free-riders and punishes the contributors. We need a whole philosophy of existence based on co-operation and fair distribution of wealth. The UK could be a good place to start!
France is calling for a ban of the burka and I was asked to sign a petition to support it. It took me some time to decide whether I would support it or not, but on balance I concluded that a ban on wearing the burka would be reasonable for the reasons I will present bellow.
Most of the reasons for or against have been based on cultural and sociological grounds, but my reasons are based on evolutionary and biological grounds.
- Like it or not we humans are primates. Whether you’re a Muslim , a Christian or an atheist, you are still a large naked, wrinkled primate. Primates are animals that rely very much on facial expressions for communication. Any postio0n of your eyebrows, , the wrinkles and crinkles of your forehead and around your mouth all have a job. Communicate states of mind.
- We, as other primates have also evolved subconscious mechanisms to detect cheats.The evolution of the complexity of language provide a backcloth to be creative liars, but the traces of our faces are a give away. Unless you are a pathological psychopath, when you lie you are aware that you are not saying the truth, and the discrepancy between your awareness of non-truth telling and whet you know, is expressed in tiny signals through your face. Signs that you cannot control, unless you are a pathological liar or very well trained as a politician. Politicians that believe their own lies are very convincing. In order to lie well, one must first undergoing self-deception.
- Now, the burka covers this facial features, making it unfair for the recipient of the message. The person under the burka can be lying through her teeth, and we will never know, because we have no means of reading her miniscule facial cues. It is a disrespect towards the interlocutor, which through showing his/her face is giving an advantage in this communication game to the wearer of the burka.
- The injustice is not towards those who choose to wear the burka, but against those who have no choice as to read the facial signals of the one that wears the burka
- It is therefore my right to refuse to communicate with a person covering her face as I am not getting all the necessary signals during humans communication and I am in disadvantage.
- On this premises, and purely on biological grounds I argue to support the banning of the burka.
Today I received another one of these proselytising emails from one of my believer friends. Among the usual references to the son of his god, and his feats, it asks me to pass it on to a handful of other friends ending with a warning. Something good is going to happen to you, a blessing is coming your way, but if you don’t pass this on remember this ” if you deny me among men, I’ll deny you before my father”…
This leaves me wondering, what kind of religion is this that cries out load, justice, love and give the other face, and then blackmails me with punishment. It sounds more like Mafia style offerings than a religion based on forgiveness.
I wonder why people who send these emails to each other cannot spot the inconsistency. What worries me us that this people are highly educated science academics lecturing at renowned universities. If critical thinking does not penetrate their think skulls, I ask myself what kind of science are they teaching?
I also try to understand the meaning of the word blessing. Not because I am a non-native English speaker.. I can translate the word to at least 8 languages… but the semantic content of the word blessing does not make any sense at all. Wikipedia defines blessing as “the infusion of something with holiness, spiritual redemption, divine will, or one’s hope or approval”.
What good can I derive from a blessing of someone that doesn’t exist? I would rather want a paid job and retribution from those I love and esteem.
Among the zillion bytes of information floating in the web, one is drawn to ask, why would anyone want to write a blog? What difference will it make? Just a little drop in this vast ocean of memes ranging from great wisdom to the utter idiotic. An ocean ranging from crystalline inviting ideas to polluted and dangerous ideologies.
I wonder how will this tiny drop in this vast ocean of personal opinions ocean continue its voyage! But I don’t really care. People write for many reasons.; to express themselves, to influence others, to lecture or incite, to start revolutions, or simply exchange ideas with like minded droplets. My drop is searching for the like minded and challenge the disagreement.
Will it be wise? Will it be silly? Who cares! It will simply be the expression of just one more mind.